Friday, September 26, 2014

My Multi Media Blog Entry


I am experimenting with using different types of media in my blog this week. Stuff that I know the students enjoy. GIFs, visuals, audio and whatever else I can get to work and might communicate a fun educational message. . .

When grading many history papers, one might find that we 
 reuse many corrective phrases. It may be more useful to 
correct students in a fun expressive way:

Your assertion needs to be backed up with specific historical evidence

Also, there are many events and people in history. Beware the vague pronoun reference (VPR), which will always keep you from accurately describing what you mean. A pronoun should have only one antecedent, the expression or meaning that gives voice to your sentence. Pronouns: he, she, they, we, etc. . .(and the dreaded, it).





The passive form is:
Please edit out as many forms of the verb "to be" as possible.

Oh and also use the Active Voice in  historical writing! Here is an example
 
Look at the above example of passive voice! Oh, 

Now look at this example of active voice: 

 Now that's an active sentence!



Sometimes it is fun to tell a historical perspective with a GIF. . . just for fun.

The general sentiments of the Puritan elders towards women in the Massachusetts Bay Colony

Everyone knows what went wrong at the Camp David Accords

They didn't dance it out.




3 comments:

  1. These are great! I love your use of these images and files for your student comments. I agree that they are much more engaging and interesting. I think this would encourage students to look for feedback more frequently. I also think it might make them more interested in adding similar enhancement to their own blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a good way to illustrate active v. passive voice. I think I always wrote in passive voice for my high school essays (I discovered my teachers thought my papers sounded more advanced if I frequently used passive voice, because the papers were "harder" to read.) Then I got to college and the professors made me stop writing that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent use on how blogs can be informative and entertaining at the same time.

    ReplyDelete